Saturday, October 19, 2013

Conveying a feeling of fast paced urban life

I have always wanted to do a series like this illustrating the hustle and bustle of city life in an abstract way with blurs and blasted out highlights. This morning the stars were aligned just right to pull it off.

I was near a major intersection at rush hour and the early morning sun was streaming down the street. I had the Sony RX100 with me as I always do. I set the camera for its lowest ISO of 100, stopped down the lens to f/11 so I could use a low shutter speed of 1/15 second which I knew from experience would give me the amount of blur I wanted. I moved the camera up and down to streak the blur vertically. For me the blur coupled with the blasted out highlights provides a feeling of ghostly anonymity one encounters even in crowded moments when living in an urban environment.














No comments :

Post a Comment